Monday, May 2, 2011

Energy Conservation Project

Our assignment was to use the research method to analyze energy consumption in our life. I chose to look closer at my driving habit and to determine how much fuel I'd save if I walked to work than than drove. I asked myself, "How many gas and money can I save by walking to and from school everyday?"

Honestly, I became a lot more aware of my energy consuming habits after this project. Fuel is an expensive energy consumable right now selling at $5.65 per gallon in Bethel. I've had never really taken into account our (husband and I) daily fuel consumption and how much fuel we use driving to and from work.

I was proud that I saved just about $30 and five gallons of fuel that month by walking to work. Clearly, in the long run I could save myself up to $350 a year if I walked to and from year if I walked to and from work each month. Even just walking during four months out of our school year would save considerably. Not only did I conserve fuel and expenses, I also gained physical benefit by exercising six days out of my week. Of course, it took ten minutes longer to get to work, however, the benefits far out-weighed the slight inconveniences. By walking, I started each day with a fresh perspective and felt better all-around. After school, walking home gave me a chance to reflect and unwind from the day's emotion and events.

I chose to perform this experiment during our fall season. Clearly, gas consumption rises during the winter months due to the falling temperatures and the need to "warm-up" the truck before driving to school. It would be interesting to compare fall and spring semester's energy savings. The price of gas and consumption of fuel just continues to add up and you realize how much you really could save.

Saving our truck four miles each day doesn't seem like much of a factor but when I weighed in the larger picture, it was clear how much of a difference walking can be. Walking four miles a day wasn't so bad. It wasn't just good for our earth, it was good for my health!

Reflection on presentation of video:
I literally was LOLing and shrieking OMG when I watched myself. I have some awkward tones and can tend to talk fast. Sometimes, I noticed myself looking into other parts of the room and not focused on my audience (the camera=students). I wonder if I do this unconsciously in my classroom when I deliver lessons?

Thank goodness we weren't required to post this video! All in all, it was a very effective reflection tool to help me "see myself" though a pretty straightforward lens! I am going to take the advice and do this every year, maybe even quarterly!

Download my project report here.

Download my PowerPoint presentation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment