Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Digital Story

The creation of the story started with a simple idea. I was sitting in the living room thinking about the possibilities and applications for my classroom, then my daughter woke for her evening feed. As I was feeding her, I thought about creating a story for her, a piece that I could share and she could now tell. I chose to to create a digital story in the form of a letter to my daughter Mazlyn.

Creating the digital story was an amazing writing and publishing experience, however, I wasn't pleased with the final product. I had higher expectations but felt that the story didn't come together as I would have liked it too. I had planned to use it to share a personal narrative with my students but then I thought maybe the content was too personal for the classroom because it spoke to my religious views. Though I'm not for certain I would use this specific video for my class model, the process helped familiarize me with the creation of a story.

View my script here.

I edited and revised my written narrative then created a story table to organize the imaging alongside my story, picking photos from my own collection and borrowing a few from online sources. I did find areas to edit as I recorded and made necessary changes as I went through the recording. As I listened to my story, I found areas to add pictures to evoke a stronger meaning.


View my story table here.


Lastly, I began creating the story through iMovie, choosing my backgrounds, adjusting the timing and function styles, and then editing.

I also created a rubric to use in my classroom with students to create a digital story based on their Personal Narrative.

View my rubric here.


Here is my digital story, entitled, Dear Mazlyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment