Sunday, August 14, 2011

Professional Online Community-Edutopia

I was a member of Edutopia this past year and became active in discussing ideas and interventions with other teachers through the forum. Edutopia is part of the George Lucas Educational Foundation that provides educators with current methods, models, videos and lesson planning materials.

One specific area of interest I looked at was project based learning in the classroom. I was able to read specific articles that shared teacher's experiences about what worked and what didn't work and how collaborative settings can enhance learning and social interactions. I was able to discuss with other educators through the online blog questions I had as well as browse through a library full of resources.

Edutopia Website

An article entitled, "Project-Based Learning: Real-World Issues Motivate Students" showed me some really neat project-based learning activities other teachers were doing in their classroom. Seeing activities first-hand through gave me some ideas to adapt and use in my own classes. Read the article and see the videos here.

As an Edutopia member, I received weekly emails that shared "hot topics" in education and resources to utilize through the website. I plan to continue my membership and read through Edutopia's resources continually for leading research and instructional activities. Overall, being a part of this online community was beneficial to me and my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment